Saturday, July 16, 2005

Those Darn Toxic Unborn Babies


If the conservative faction of Americans who get all excited about babies rights want to do something really worthwhile with their energy and money, I propose they change their focus from preventing abortion to getting stricter pollution laws passed.

According to a new report by the Environmental Working Group, Body Burden: The Pollution in Newborns :
Researchers at two major laboratories found an average of 200 industrial chemicals and pollutants in umbilical cord blood from 10 babies born in August and September of 2004 in U.S. hospitals. Tests revealed a total of 287 chemicals in the group. The umbilical cord blood of these 10 children, collected by Red Cross after the cord was cut, harbored pesticides, consumer product ingredients, and wastes from burning coal, gasoline, and garbage.

Of the 287 chemicals we detected in umbilical cord blood, we know that 180 cause cancer in humans or animals, 217 are toxic to the brain and nervous system, and 208 cause birth defects or abnormal development in animal tests.
What makes me just a tad upset is all the effort that cancer organizations put into the blessed Walk/Run/Cycle/Swim for the Cure events to raise money to find some elusive vaccine to prevent cancer, while the real cause of the ever-growing cancer rates is left unchallenged and for the most part, under-researched. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to make the leap that industry-created toxins in our air, food and water aren’t good for us.

Rather than expose us to that crap and then try to cure the illness with injections of more toxic cocktails, why can’t we focus on reducing the toxins in the first place? I’m sure corporations could figure out how to turn a profit from helping people stay healthy…

6 Comments:

Blogger wahdamuslimah said...

its the old prevention vs cure debate, the latter is usually easier than the other cos prevention involves having to educate as well.

July 16, 2005  
Blogger Salem Watchen said...

Your proposal certainly makes good moral and health sense, but it isn't in anyone's (at least anyone with lobbying power) financial interest. There are many areas in the nation where the only sources of income are the polluting industries, the medical professionals who deal with the fallout, and the attorneys who sue the industries for the damage. It's a racket.

July 16, 2005  
Blogger Robin DeVault said...

This is great - I got more comments in one hour than Salem did in the first two weeks he had this site! I'll do what I can to keep it interesting, but it looks like I've found a wealth of information on your site. Nice work!

July 17, 2005  
Blogger Gina said...

you know I saw this too and was not really shocked. I don't really think there is much hope ( me the optimist) Salem is right, there is not a chance we are going back to a non-industrial society, and I think our children's children will be long dead before whe come up pith a way to be both "industrial" and "green".
But I do think there is hope, there are more and more consumers willing to pay almost twice as much for "green" items, (ie organic milk, biodegradable and chemically free diapers or non-toxic cleaners) It's the all mighty dollar that talks!

July 18, 2005  
Blogger Caron said...

I agree with you and others - just because we should doesn't mean we will. All we can really do is try to eliminate what nasty elements we can. Me...never the optimist.

July 27, 2005  
Blogger Derek said...

All I can say is WOW Sh tering Rose-Colored Glasses. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on collection of umbilical cord blood. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though Those Darn Toxic Unborn Babies really isn’t on the same page as collection of umbilical cord blood I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at collection of umbilical cord blood. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

December 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home