Tuesday, November 28, 2006

*&#%@ you! And your mother, too!

Child of mine came home from school today and asked if I knew how to speak Spanish.

A few words. Why?

“Meag (the after-school babysitter) slipped on the ice and when she did she yelled, “Chingada!” She won’t tell us what it means, so it must be bad.”

Liam and I sat down together and googled it.

The first mention that caught our eye, “Chinga a tu madre.” And then the translation in brackets beside it. Great! (And thank you Wikipedia!)

Although I’m not pleased that he just learned this new expression, I was quite impressed with his accent. The kid's got linguistic talent.

****

In a similar vein, while googling “Commercial Drive” on the weekend to find the phone number of a store, I came across this wonderful link that sums up the neighbourhood I live in. Like me, the friends I shared it with who live in the ‘hood, recognized a few of the characters described. We all shed tears of laughter… but, maybe it’s an inside joke… special place, Commercial Drive.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is another 'Best of Craigslist' item from a Vancouverite.

The F'you Commercial Drive is pretty damned funny. It should be posted by the Commerical Drive BIA located in the Mercato Mall on a 6' by 9' board.

I can lend Liam my copy of Merde, The French They Don't Teach You in School and he can take it from there.

xo

M

November 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a teen, I took pride in the fact that I was a polyglot in regards to profanity. I may never be a translator at the United Nations, but I take comfort in the fact that I can tell someone to "F*$#! OFF!" in seven different languages.

G.

WORD VERIFICATION:"sesbuelu" --happens to mean, "your mother is a dirty goat that likes to eat soiled underpants" in Armenian.

November 29, 2006  
Blogger Donna said...

MVL - Funny you'd mention French. Part of the conversation that came from learning what Chingada meant was around how different languages consider different types of words as curses.

Liam was quick to point out the religious swear words of the French being different from what he now believes are the sex-related bad words of Spanish-speakers.

Oh how we laughed at saying "tabernacle!" and "chalice!" and "host!" with the feeling of having said words Liam can't say in his classroom.

G. - glad to have your voice back here. I"ve missed you.

November 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home